Monday, February 11, 2013

The Nerve-racking Nutcracker



      Last winter on a cold night I drove to Richmond, Kentucky with my mother and sister.  We were going to the Eastern Kentucky University Center for the Arts. This is where I would perform my very first ballet.
      I was a nervous … I was a mess!! I was so worried, but at the same time, I was excited. The whole way there I was so afraid I was going to mess up.  I kept telling myself we have been working on this for 2 months.  Deep down I knew I was ready, but my nerves were getting the best of me. 
“You can do this Zaida!” my mom said.  “I performed this very same ballet when I was your age.  You will be fine.” 
I finally started to calm down just as we pulled up to the Center for the Arts.
        When I got there, I went to the dressing room to get ready. I sat down at the mirror, and my mom started my makeup. First my eyeshadow then my lipstick and last a little blush. The costume designer walked into the dressing room and said it was time to go put our costumes on.  I dreaded getting in the costume.  I had only tried it on, but I knew it was very heavy and extremely hot.  There were many layers to the costume.  First the body suits, then a dress, on top of that a set of heavy wings and finally, a halo on my head.  It took about 15-20 minutes to get into full costume. 
      After a little while, it was time for my act. I walked out on to the stage, I smelled peppermint.  I remembered part of the set was large wooden candy canes that had been sprayed with a peppermint scent so the dancers would not smell wood.  It made me think of Christmas time.  I wondered of the audience could smell it too. 
      As I started my dance, I saw lots of eyes staring.  It made me feel nervous again.  I tried to focus on the music, but for a minute, my mind was blank!!   I glanced over at the other dancers, and suddenly, all the moves came back to me.  I was so relieved; I must have had a huge smile on my face.  And just like that—it was over.
      When I walked off stage, I felt like I would burst with happiness.  I will never forget my first dance performance of The Nutcracker.  

Posted by: Pinkgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment