Monday, December 10, 2012

Famous Kentuckian Helen Turner



Hello, my name is Helen Turner. I was born on November 13, 1858 in Louisville, Kentucky. I was never married and had no children. I died in 1958 at the age of 99. 
Before the Civil War my life was great. My father owned a successful coal mining business and we lived in a beautiful house.  Then, my mother died when I was only 7, and my brother got killed in a mining accident, my father lost his fortune, and then died.   I became an orphan at 13 years old.
Morning, ca. 1919, oil on canvas
My uncle took me and my other siblings to live in New Orleans with him. My uncle inspired me to become an impressionist painter.  I attended the Art Students League.  I also took free classes at Cooper Union School of Design for Women.  I studied at Columbia and received my teaching certificate.  I worked in New York at the YWCA for 17 years teaching ladies fashion illustrations. 
I became famous because I was an impressionist painter.  I did not do a preliminary sketch under my paintings and had a mosaic quality to my paintings. 
My paintings have been displayed in many museums.   
My accomplishments made a difference because my paintings make the world more beautiful and everyone is happy with them.  

 

Posted by: Puppygirl100

3 comments: