Monday, December 10, 2012

Famous Kentuckian: Laura Clay


Hello, my name is Laura Clay. I was born on February 9, 1849 in Richmond, Kentucky. My parents were Cassius M. Clay and Mary Jane Warfield Clay. I went to the Sayre School in Lexington. I never married. Instead I devoted my life to the women's suffrage movement. I was influenced by my older sisters and my mother. I spent much of my life in defending the rights of women.

I worked with Susan B. Anthony in establishing women's suffrage societies throughout Kentucky and I was a co-founder of the Kentucky Equal Rights Association. In the 1920 Democratic National Convention I made United States history as the first woman to be nominated for President by a major political party.

I died on June 29, 1941 and am buried in the Lexington Cemetery.

Posted by: Orangeleaf

1 comment: